Monday, October 17, 2011

30 Crafts in 30 Days: Day 29

Day 29. I didn’t think I’d make it this far. (I almost didn’t.)  Today’s craft highlights the city that I live in: Cleveland. Last week, when I joined the ladies to sketch at the Natural History Museum, I got very jealous when they started doing watercolors. Thus, today’s craft is a watercolor of downtown Cleveland, as seen from the Superior Viaduct (where I used to live).
I started off using scrap graph paper that I had instead of watercolor paper. I did a very undetailed sketch of downtown using a mechanical pencil that I found in my cabinet. It’s kind of silly how terrible at drawing things with pencil I am.
IMG307 (Small)IMG306 (Small)
I filled in the details with a permanent marker. Oh, I am such a fan of Sharpies.
IMG308 (Small)IMG309 (Small)
Then, I filled the little drawing in with watercolors from my $3 kid’s art set from Michael’s. (I swear, everyone needs one of these. It has watercolors, oil pastels, markers, colored pencils, and crayons. Amazing!)
IMG310 (Small)IMG313 (Small)
While that was drying I cut out (using paper edging scissors that I got at a craft stash swap a bunch of years ago) a backing out of a manila folder. Then I used tacky glue to glue the watercolor to the backing. In retrospect, I should probably have used a glue stick to glue it, since this water-based stuff makes different papers expand to different sizes. In retrospect, I also should have bought glue sticks during back to school season when 4-packs were 25 cents.
IMG314 (Small) IMG315 (Small)
Kinda makes me miss downtown living, when this was the view from my picture window, but not enough to actually move back there. :)

1 comment: