Wednesday, October 12, 2011

30 Crafts in 30 Days: Day 24

I went to my pottery studio on Monday to pick up some stuff that I had made during the last class. Some ladies in that timeslot go to the Museum of Natural History on Wednesdays to draw stuff! It’s called the Guild of Nature artists. Anyway, they invited me this week to go with them and draw birds!
I picked the Common Merganser (m.) as my subject. Did you know that the salmon-pink tinge shown variably by males is probably diet related, obtained by the carotenoid pigments present in some crustaceans and fish? Me neither. I also just learned that this bird exists today. And you can totally pick up the salmon-pink tinge from my amazing phone camera. (I swear, it exists.)
IMG265 (Small)
Anyway. I started sketching this bird. I didn’t own any sketchbooks, so I took some nice graph paper from work that was goign to be thrown out. Also, the only pencil I had at work was a red colored pencil. As soon as I took it out, one of the women whipped it out of my hand and handed me a 2B drawing pencil as well as an art gum eraser.
IMG264 (Small)
After I finished drawing the bird, I found a feather close by so I drew that as if it had fallen off this bird. I think it was actually a feather from the Canadian goose that was hovering about 2 feet away.
IMG267 (Small)
I added some cattail-y looking plants that were hanging out behind the bird. I don’t know how to draw cattails. I haven’t drawn since I was 13! And you can’t even tell!!
IMG269 (Small)
And see the salmon tone in the bird now? I’m just kidding. I totally made that last picture black and white due to the picture turning out sort of yellow splotchy (not sure how).   

2 comments:

  1. That feather is so good! Also, you should probably invest in some sketch paper for future projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!

    You know who is into ducks and birds and duck/bird art? My parents!!

    Also I had a dream about you last night. I'm trying to remember what happened in it.

    ReplyDelete