Tuesday, October 11, 2011

30 Crafts in 30 Days: Day 23

My friend Ali went apple-picking last weekend, and she gchatted me today with, “do you know how to make caramel apples? i need ideas to do with apples.” And I have never made caramel in my life, but ever since my 10th grade Chemistry teacher told me that it was just cooked sugar and water, I’ve wanted to try it.
Ali came over today bearing approximately 20 apples. I placed them on my countertop in one of the first bowls I made in my pottery class. (It’s so fitting, because I met her in pottery class on a day that we were both not taking the class, but making up a class that we had missed. Kismet!)
IMG263 (Small)
Anyway. The caramel! After searching for a bunch of tutorials online, including one who told us to brush the sides of a pot with a ‘pastry brush’ and another who told us that we needed a candy thermometer, we settled on the wikiHow tutorial, which required the least number of ingredients.
This recipe started off with 0.5 cup sugar and 0.25 cup cold water mixed in a sauce pan.
IMG243 (Small)
Stir the mixture until it starts bubbling.
IMG249 (Small)
Then wait…
IMG251 (Small)
Until you have this beautiful brown colored caramel! Yeah, it either took 15 minutes to get to this point or I was being very impatient.
IMG252 (Small)
Then we tried to find out how to make this into a sauce so that we could dip the apples into it. All these stupid recipes called for something called ‘heavy whipping cream’. Why would anyone keep heavy whipping cream in their abode? It’s not like I have a grocery store half a mile away from me. So instead of using heavy whipping cream, I turned the burner off and poured in half a cup of warm milk and started stirring like mad. The caramel starts bubbling up when the milk is added for reasons unbeknownst to me.
IMG253 (Small)
Once the milk is stirred in, I also stirred in about a pat of salted butter.
IMG255 (Small)
Next, I dipped my sliced apple into the sauce. This is literally awesome sauce. I also think that this was the point in the night that my dad called me asking me if I had a AAA card. I said no, why? and he told me that he was watching a television show called Last Man Standing and the daughter on the show apparently went out somewhere and got a flat tire. So then he called me.
IMG262 (Small)
The apples that Ali brought over were comically small, so I said, ‘OMG can you take a twilight picture of me?’ and her response was, ‘I don’t even know what that means.’ Then I gimped it. These apples are sooo cute. Oh hey – check out the sweet mani that I got over the weekend. My first mani! (That should be the title of a book. But not the one shown below.)(Yes, I think twilight is one of the dumber series out there, but I enjoy making fun of the movies all the same.)
caramel (Small)   
I suppose that since I didn’t use ‘heavy whipping cream’ to saucify my caramel and used 1/2% milk instead, this could be considered a healthy caramel sauce! Right? Michelle Obama, if you could see me now!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I can hardly contain my giggles; you captured our night perfectly and the photoshopping is amazing. I would totally read a series called "Caramel" based on the teeny apple and mani alone. And when Michelle reads this, make sure you advise her about blocking the candy thermometer and whipping cream blogs! Gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha I hope that Michelle reads my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete