Friday, October 14, 2011

30 Crafts in 30 Days: Day 26

I got something called “collard greens” in my CSA this week, and I have heard that they are a. gross, b. bitter and c. irony (but not ironic).  I really wanted lentil soup today as dinner, so I decided to make lentil soup with collard greens and feta.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup lentils (I used green)
  • 2.5 cups water
  • 1/2 can tomato paste that has been sitting in your freezer improperly stored so now has freezer burn
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 4 collard green leaves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp turmeric
  • As much feta as you want (I used approximately 1/2 cup crumbled)
1. Mix together the tomato paste, onions, garlic and water in a pot. Bring to a boil.
IMG287 (Small)
2. Cook, covered, on low heat until the lentils are cooked, about 20-30 minutes.
IMG291 (Small)
3. Add your chopped collard greens, turmeric, and chili powder. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
IMG292 (Small)
4. Pour your crumbled feta into the soup.
IMG295 (Small)
5. Mix it all together and place in a bowl. Eat it and taste the rainbow.
IMG296 (Small)
When in doubt, add feta.

1 comment:

  1. You have never heard of collard greens?? Trust me, they do not taste like either a, b or c. They are delicious and I'm glad to see you are broadening your palate :D

    ReplyDelete