Sunday, April 3, 2011

Starfruit and Roasted Asparagus

I went to the West Side Market yesterday to pick up some fresh fruits and vegetables (and also to eat crepes at the crepe stand). I ended up with asparagus, blueberries, pink lady apples, spinach, and starfruit.

Starfruit is so cool – when you cut it, it will end up in a star shape!  This is probably where the name came from. (Well, it only ends up in a star shape if you cut it properly. I’m sure it ends up in a more peculiar shape if you cut it lengthwise.) (Also, if you cut an apple perpendicular to its core, I think you get a star shape out of that, too!) I love the gorgeous green color. When I was young, it was always a treat for us to get starfruit – my mom would cut them up and sprinkle chaat masala on top of it. The fruit itself is slightly sweet, and the chaat masala made it into a savory snack. And of course, as a kid, I loved that it looked like stars. I had stars in my eyes.

215_4430 (Small)

I also roasted asparagus today. I don’t think I ever ate asparagus as a child – it’s not prevalent in Indian cooking, so I doubt my mother would have ever made it. I love asparagus – asparagus soup is one of my favorite soups.  But this time, I decided to roast it in my toaster oven. So simple – snap off the rough ends of your asparagus, drizzle with extra-celibate olive oil (hehe) and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Stick it uncovered in your toaster oven at 400F for about 25 minutes. It’s crunchy, yet tender.

215_4434 (Small)

215_4437 (Small)

Mmm. My little belly is happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment