Sunday, April 3, 2011

What the heck are THESE?!

I was wandering to the mailbox earlier this week to dump my rent check in the mail, and I noticed these things on the ground.

Does anyone know what they are? My first thought was, “Ooh, I could use these as a decor element!” My second thought was, “I’ll bet there are lots of bugs sitting inside, and I don’t like bugs.” My third thought was, “Is it spring yet?” It’s not.

215_4441 (Small) 215_4442 (Small) 215_4439 (Small) 

What the heck are these?!

5 comments:

  1. OMG THESE ARE ALL OVER OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!! we have to pick them up EVVVVERYWHERE at my grandma's house in c-bus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what they're called but if I remeber correctly, they're essentially seed pods from trees.

    The spikey nature (and beleive me they hurt if you hit one barefoot -- when I was growing up these would be like little landmines in my back yard) is, I think, to deter animals from eating the seeds -- and fustrating the trees' attempts at reproduction.

    I don't think I've seen/noticed them in Ohio before, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new site header (logo? ....ummm) is AWESOME. I love it.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had these aaaallllll over cincinnati

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete