Sunday, March 27, 2011

Avant Cardigan

Deconstructing...what? where? when? how? why? Creating new clothes from old clothes...at Nidhizzle's...Saturday evening...scissors, sewing machine, thread, seam ripper...to create new fashions. In case you are wondering, I'm guest blogger Bethany from SoOhblog.blogspot.com. I'm an avid crafter and tinkerer just like Nidhi and she was kind enough to host a Deconstructing session at her humble abode. I had the distinct honor and pleasure of blogging about our creations.

clip_image002

We started with these jeans that are circa 1998. I'm sure you can tell because of the pale-blue-washed-out-stretchy look of them...shudder. We decided to use the material to create a necklace which Nidhi took the lead on and will be posting on. I took the lead on creating these delightful "thong-chaps"

clip_image004

Just kidding! They are quite avant garde, but unfortunately not practical in Ohio. Overall I think we were going for practical avant garde, so I decided to abandon the "thong-chaps" and concentrate on the waistband....
Meanwhile, Nidhi is working away on this easter yellow sweater.

clip_image006

Nidhi had been wanting to own a yellow short-sleeved cardigan for quite some time so thus the avant cardigan was born!

She started with cutting up the middle and lining it with this nice satin shiny material.

clip_image008

The final flourish was adding a pleated collar and bow. Tres chic! (Nidhizzle's note: I got the idea from here)

image

The master seamstress that she is, she was even able to sew it to fit properly. Well done Nidhi!

Now back to the jeans…the question was how do I create a jean-clothing item that doesn’t make you think who ever is wearing it loves the 90’s. Here are a couple failed attempts…

clip_image012

The jean tie…? Nahhhh

clip_image014

The jean wrap….? Definitely not!

clip_image016

The Jean Collar….oh yes!

Nidhi and I are bringing denim back! This well structured button collar is stylish, sophisticated and fun. I plan on making more of these fashion forward collars and putting them in my shop at sooh.etsy.com, so keep your eyes out.

Thank-you again to Nidhi for hosting such a successful Deconstructing session!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hosting our avant garde night, Nidhi!

    Here is Nidhi's guest post at my blog http://soohblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/guest-post-nidhis-deconstructing.html

    ReplyDelete