Friday, April 8, 2011

I went to Australia last November: Day 1

Last November, I took a trip to Australia (affectionately known as Oz by its residents) to visit my friend Katie (affectionately known as KT by me), who is currently doing a fellowship at Melbourne Uni.
The flight to Melbourne is fantastic – it took me almost 24h to get there from CLE. I flew from CLE to LAX (yes, I hopped off the plane with my dream and my cardigan) to SYD to MEL. I lucked out; on my 14 hour flight from LAX to SYD, I sat next to a strapping young 22-year old Australian man who stayed up with me for half the “night” to help me beat jet lag. Airlines give you complimentary wine for international flights == awesome.
Ok, So I lied. I wasn’t wearing a cardigan. But that is irrelevant. I got to KT’s apartment and unpacked all of her stuff. Her sisters gave me soo much stuff to give to her – I think it took up about 1/2 of my suitcase!
DSCN7999 (Small)
After getting ready, KT and I went out to a Latin American celebration festival in hipster Fitzroy. We bought a sugarcane juice to share. That’s me and KT, KT is looking fresh and rosy and I’m looking jet-lagged and/or slightly hungover.
215_2466 (Small)
There was a cool alleyway in Melbourne that was completely filled with graffiti. Unfortunately, we didn’t bring any real paint, but we did bring invisible paint! That’s our artwork on the right side. I mean, you can’t see it but it’s totally there.
215_2438 (Small)
KT had come a few days earlier and painted “GOBLUE” but when I went there, it just said “OBLUE.” I can only speculate that she spelled it wrong the first time but then rapidly changed her story to “someone painted over it!!”
215_2439 (Small)
We then got dinner at Vegie Bar (that’s how they spell it…) in hipster Fitzroy. I got a delicious Singapore noodle dish. SO good. I have become so skilled at taking macro photos of food.
215_2481 (Small)
I took a nice picture of KT and my reflection in the water pitcher. You can totally tell it’s us. I’m on the left wearing pinkish, and KT is on the left wearing the maize.
215_2479 (Small)
While we were sitting, we randomly saw one of KT’s friends Alice from Melbourne Uni. I found out she went to Cornell and knows one of my friends from undergrad at Michigan. Small world! KT took a picture of me and Alice drinking our hot chocolates after dinner after a failed attempt to go to a different cafĂ© to drink hot chocolates after dinner.
DSCN8019 (Small)
Katie loves this picture, and every other picture that I’m posing gorgeously with my face in a non-smile.
DSCN8020 (Small)
Aussies love their Christmas. They had these all over town, as well as signs that said “Christmas” everywhere. I kept expecting it to say “Christmas in July” because it was 80+ degrees every day, but in reality, I was in the Southern Hemisphere where summer comes in December.
215_2454 (Small)
After the hot chocolate, we went to get groceries. KT and Alice kept hearing about shapes crackers, so we bought some. They weren’t very good, even though they came in all different shapes.
215_2493 (Small)
“Tasty” cheese is ubiquitous in Australia – Tasty is a flavor of cheese, like Cheddar or Colby. What in the world?
215_2495 (Small)
Stay tuned for the rest of the trip that I took about 5 months ago and am just blogging about now, thank you KT for sending me the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment