Friday, September 9, 2011

30 Crafts in 30 Days: Day 9

So, in my dining room I have this super-awesome lighting fixture that is so beautiful, I felt terrible about doing this craft (just kidding).

IMG_1124 (Small)

I decided to make a milk carton chandelier! I know what you’re thinking, “Gosh, milk cartons are soo ugly. Why would you want to display them proudly in your home??” But don’t worry!

 IMG_1035 (Small)

I cut up about 4 or 5 milk jugs into this oval pieces. Don’t they look marvelously like capiz shell? …and that’s exactly the point. I wanted to make a capiz shell-like chandelier!

IMG_1036 (Small)

I threaded the “shells” into rows of seven…

IMG_1071 (Small)

Sewed them to a piece of ribbon that I think was originally used as packaging for a comforter set…

IMG_1072 (Small)

And tied it to my lighting fixture. It looks way classier now. Well, it still looks kind of silly since I have a CFL randomly chilling at the top instead of lights all the way down. Maybe one day.

  IMG_1121 (Small)

And ta-dah! Let there be light.

IMG_1123 (Small)

Ok, so the phrase “Let there be light” always reminds me of that one scene in Spider-Man I (before Emo Peter) where Uncle Ben changes a light bulb and says it.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty!!

    And.. I spy a Firefly shirt! Nerd approved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... this project seems really difficult... it seems like you would have needed help!

    but probably just from someone with few skills beyond holding things

    though I probably have no idea what I'm talking about ;)

    ReplyDelete