Monday, September 12, 2011

30 Crafts in 30 Days: Day 12

Well, since this 30 Crafts in 30 Days has sort of turned into a “GODDAMMIT NIDHI, FINISH THE CRAFT PROJECTS YOU’VE BEEN WORKING ON FOR JUST ABOUT EVER!!” blog post frenzy, I’m going to share something I should have made a long time ago.

Placemats.

I have been living in my apartment for over a year now, and I still had 0 placemats at my kitchen table. I think I made my guests uncomfortable putting their drinks/food on my table for fear that they might ruin my table. PLEASE. My table cost a mere $200 and is really fakely wooden.

Anyway, I was thrift store shopping at the Ann Arbor PTO Thrift shop this weekend (best craft section ever!) and I found this a-maize-ing fabric (I had to. goblue!). I was going to turn it into pillows, but realized it was not big enough. So I decided to make placemats because I have been living over a year without placemats OR coasters.

I cut the maize fabric into four slices (SO GORGEOUS DAMASK) and cut out canvas material that I had in my stash for the backing.

IMG_1180 (Small)

I created the canvas as a border for the placemat. I love love love this fabric. It is so gorgeous.

IMG_1183 (Small)

Oooh! Check out the back!! If I ever wanted to have canvas placemats, I could just flip them over!! So exciting. Ok. I would never want to have not the damask printed side up.

IMG_1184 (Small)

Placemat in action, with my dinner for tonight: ratatouille and a wineglass of water.

IMG_1182 (Small)

I know the point of this placemat is to keep my kitchen table clean and it’s supposed to get dirty, but I really don’t want it to get dirty! Hopefully it’s machine washable.

No comments:

Post a Comment