Wednesday, July 21, 2010

10 Days in New York, part 4

New York City. Sigh. It has everything. Especially specialty craft stores. Sigh. I found a bunch of craft stores near Fashion Ave. I drooled over the plethora of beads and rows of ribbons. I also unsuccessfully looked for Mood Fabrics. One day, Mood, I will conquer you and succeed in walking through your famous doors! Maybe I’ll even get to buy some fabric.  215_0956 215_0961

I wonder if this restaurant participated in restaurant week. With a multitude of gastronomies, how could I go here and not find something that I wanted? Alas, I went here and didn’t find anything I wanted. Oh well, maybe next time.

 215_0965

On Fashion Ave (I thin it’s 7th), I played with the notion…er, played with the notions! Large needle and button! So cute!

 215_0969

Oh, Mr. Sewing Machine Man, do you need an apprentice? I will be more than willing to help you out. 2 weeks till I get my sewing machine! I’m so excited. Let me tell you, it’s been hell without it. I’ve had to devote myself to learning other types of crafts that don’t involve my sewing machine.

 215_0973

If you have been to the University of Michigan’s Museum of Art (or walked down State St. in Ann Arbor), you would have seen some large red art piece in front of the museum. I found one extrodinarily similar to it in down-downtown NYC. It always makes me happy to find these. There was one in Austin, TX on UT’s campus and I hear that there is one in Boston, too!

215_0988 

I made Happy take this picture of me. I thought it would look super cosmopolitan but I just look kind of silly with a stupid grin on my face. Some might even say I look…presh?

215_1007

Happy and I are being awesome and sitting on the steps of the Met. The Met is an awesome museum. Many a woman find what they are looking for in that museum…

215_1009

And this is who women find. This is a sculpture of Hercules (with fantastic natural lighting, I might add) that is approximately twice the size of a normal-sized human. I don’t know if he was actually this large, but it doesn’t really matter. I saw several women take pictures with their hands cupping his cash and prizes. Several older women. I kid you not. At the Met. Way to show maturity.

215_1013

Cupid and Psyche. The story of Cupid and Psyche is my favorite myth. Generally, it’s also my favorite depiction in art.

215_1025

Anyway, on to the merriment. For the fireworks, I met up with some friends etc. that went to Michigan. On the way to the Westside, we encountered some finger puppets…This is the pregame. (But seriously, what kind of puppet pregames fireworks? I think it may have a problem.)

215_1032

Two more finger puppets were taking a nice little coffee table boat ride in their paper boat with their paper umbrella. When I got back to Ohio, I somehow managed to smuggle Wolfy in my purse. (Wolfy is the one in the back of the boat.)

215_1035

I got to watch the Macy’s fireworks over the Hudson river. They were spectacular! Someone needs to tell me that my camera does not do a very good job of taking pictures of fireworks.

215_1051

My trip to New York was lovely. Yes, I did find labels and love in New York. But love, like fashion (and even time), is fleeting.

2 comments:

  1. Cool subway photo -- and a little creepy with the Met.

    If Beads are what you're looking for, when you get back to CLE there's a place on the corner of Mayfield & Lee in Cleveland Heights that as far as I can tell looking through the window is nothing but beads -- I think's like Isle of Beads or Land of Beads or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I actually saw that store once and got really excited. And then I think my friends made fun of me.

    ReplyDelete