Sunday, July 18, 2010

10 Days in New York, part 1

I left for New York on Saturday morning. I had booked a flight for 8am, thinking I would get into the city when it was light and it would be easier to find my way around. Of course, I neglected to realize that this would mean leaving my apartment for CLE at 5am. I also neglected to realize that walking to the RTA station at 5am is very, very sketchy. So I called a cab company (twice! after they didn’t show up the first time) and they never showed up! Luckily, at that exact moment, a fire alarm happened in my apartment and everyone needed to evacuate. A nice, sleepy couple offered to drive me to the RTA station and I arrived to the airport, and then NYC safely.

My first two days in NY were very touristy. Here are some pictures to prove it!

This is the library with some very nice lions outside. It’s so gorgeous inside with some fabulous architecture and a great view of many buildings. I don’t know how anyone could get anything literary done in there without being distracted!

215_0709

At Bryant Park, someone put a bunch of paper sailboats saying they needed to sail to Madison Square Garden (whose initials end up being MSG, hehe). We didn’t take one, because we didn’t think we would end up anywhere near Madison Square Garden (or maybe I just don’t know the streets of NYC) but we did end up by Madison Square Garden. Oh well. I hope they ended up at their destination.

215_0721

Chipotle is ubiquitous in the City. I liked this one that had “Chipotle” graffiti-d outside of the restaurant.

215_0733

In Ann Arbor, MI, there is a cube outside the student union. When I walked out of the subway at Astor Place, I was so surprised when I saw this cube. It’s very similar to the Cube in Ann Arbor, except it doesn’t turn quite as well. Then after dinner at Astor Place, I couldn’t find my way back to the subway.

215_0738 

I found me some bears at Central Park!

215_0753

And having a picnic in a park is crossed off my list. With homemade guacamole, a fruit salad, and bread with goat cheese, this was a very tasty picnic on a very hot day.

215_0759

A boxspring at, around, or near Park Ave was spouting off words of wisdom (and a drawing of a fish?). Maybe one day I will take its advice. I can’t really tell, though. Becoming your dream equals becoming a fish? Or maybe the Greek letter alpha in lowercase?

215_0776

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! (Though one does wonder about the cause of that "mysterious" fire alarm...)

    ReplyDelete