Tuesday, November 27, 2012

“And you can wear it again!”

I am sure that as soon as you read that, you thought, “She must be speaking of a bridesmaid dress!” and in thinking that, dear friend, you are absolutely correct. Can you wear it again? I was about to try.

I wore this J. Crew Silk Taffeta Mika dress for my friend Steph’s wedding in July, and the dress was absolutely gorgeous. I just thought that as a blue dress, it was very bridesmaidy and also may or may not have reminded me of another doomed relationship since I met the last boy while wearing it.

image

I did some extensive research using my bff the Internet on how to dye Silk Taffeta. The Internet told me things like, “Don’t do it, girl! It will remove the shinyness” or “The fibers will all be ruined!” but guess what! I did it anyway, because I am a badass and I really wanted a black dress. I used Black Rit Dye (liquid) and cooked my clothes.

DSCN1336 (Small)

Here it is, drying. It was soooooo wrinkly after it had finished drying so I ironed it using the silk setting. After that didn’t do anything. I went all the way up to linen or whatever. It didn’t ruin the dress but I also moved the iron very quickly. For like an hour.

DSCN1337 (Small)

The taffeta had lost a lot of its stiffness but that makes the dress actually look a lot better than it had before. I wore it to my friend Lauren’s wedding reception (hehe, another wedding) on Black Friday. I dyed the dress black specifically for Black Friday. Here I am doing Gangnam style, very poorly indeed. I like this dress much better in black.

imageimage

Yes, you CAN wear it again! But no young whippersnappers this time.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good. You rock it. Plus I like yur choice in shoes.

    PIP Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! It looks so pretty in black and so not bridesmaid-ish at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I used to use RIT dye in high school and have had mixed results, you on the other hand had great success! It looks like a completely new dress. Good thing you rebelled against the internet. "don't do it girl!"

    ReplyDelete