Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Toile isn’t short for Toilet

I bought a green suede-y couch off of a coworker once I decided to move into my own apartment a year and a half ago. One of the draws was that it came with its own pillows. The other draw was that it cost practically nothing for a brand new couch.

I happily bought the couch with the full intention of casing the pillows (kind of like casing the joint, only different) as soon as I got settled into my apartment. Freaking plaid. What are we, hipster pillows? I absolutely hate plaid. I suppose you could say that I’m not mad for plaid. Plaid makes me sad. Especially when I’m clad in plaid. Ok, that was pretty bad.

DSCN0822 (Small)

So yesterday (1.5 years later), I was settled into the apartment. I bought toile fabric approximately last September with the full intention of covering them that same day, when I probably spotted some Nutella or something in my kitchen and went off like a rabid dog. I also had a suede-y tan fabric for the back.

DSCN0826 (Small)

I decided to cover these so that if I ever wanted to take them off and wash them, I could. So I designed the back had a flap thing that the pillow can slip in and out of, really similar to this tutorial.

DSCN0827 (Small)

Once the pillow was sewn up, it looked like this. But I thought it looked loose, probably because I’m horrible at measuring squashy things. That’s what she said. Because you don’t measure when it’s squashy usually, right?

DSCN0840 (Small)DSCN0836 (Small) 

So, since I’m lazy and didn’t feel like turning the pillow cover back inside out, I decided to sew half a centimeter around the pillow. It looks so much more finished and professional, not at all janky like I was expecting.

DSCN0837 (Small) DSCN0839 (Small)

Also this project took me maybe an hour. I can’t believe I lived with fugly plaid pillows for so long.

2 comments:

  1. omg you're so crafty I can't take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toile is my favorite pattern ever! You're so talented with great ideas (and motivation I lack!)

    ReplyDelete