Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Creamy Kale Soup

I’ve always been wondering if you can eat kale stems because I feel bad about throwing them away. After extensive Googling this morning (10 minutes at least), I discerned that they are edible. Many soup recipe sources on the Internets told me that I should use the stems in soups with cauliflower or something, instead of using the kale leaves. That sounded like a lot of work, so I used all the entire kale.

I roughly chopped up approximately 4 leaves of kale.

DSCN0965 (Small)

I also chopped up 1/2 a small onion, 1 clove of garlic, and 1/4 a block of tofu (!) in 2 cups of water and boiled it for approximately 20 minutes. 

DSCN0966 (Small)

Once the stuff had softened up, I Immersion Blended it into a soupy consistency. It doesn’t blend completely, but it does blend mostly. Once it had blended, I added 1/3 cup of milk to up the creamy level and then blended it a tad bit more. Also I added salt+pepper to taste.

DSCN0971 (Small)

I then poured it into my corn-plastic mug I got for donating to 90.3 WCPN and spritzed a little lemon onto it. Then I ate it. Drank it? How exactly do you imbibe soup?

DSCN0973 (Small)

Food is one project you should never procrastinate.

2 comments:

  1. I often chop my kale stems up like the onions and saute them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sip. I like to sip soup.

    Love,
    Bear

    ReplyDelete