Sunday, January 29, 2012

Paper Flowers in a Wine Bottle Vase

My friend Beth and I wanted to do something nice for our friend who is going through some difficult times right now. We decided on making a sort of care package for her. I said, “Let’s buy flowers for her!” but Beth said, “Aww. I want her to have some flowers that can last forever.” This was a conniving statement, since she KNOWS I do crafts. So we decided to do paper flowers!

The vase started off as a wine bottle that I had in my kitchen. I had peeled the label off by soaking it in a pitcher of water (I had already finished the margaritas from the pitcher) then scraping it off with a smooth like butterknife.

DSCN0417 (Small)

I crumpled up a bunch of 2x2” encyclopedia pages to fill up the bottle. Too bad it wasn’t filled with wine. I drank it. I love wine. Wine wine wine.

DSCN0419 (Small)

We made paper roses using a slightly modified version of this tutorial and more encyclopedia book pages. The stem is made from a rolled up page and then the flower is glued directly to the stem during the process.

DSCN0429 (Small)

DSCN0431 (Small)

We made 3 roses to place in the vase. 4 looked like too many and 2 was just odd. Tissue paper was also placed around the wine bottle for a little pop of color.

DSCN0433 (Small) 

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet but only because we sprayed these ones with perfume.

3 comments:

  1. I love these!! I must learn how to make them. Great job - they look awesome and they didn't cost a penny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Nidhi! Just came across your site via Joyce. You're so crafty!! You must teach me how to make all your cool little items!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best line in this post: "I crumpled up a bunch of 2x2” encyclopedia pages to fill up the bottle. Too bad it wasn’t filled with wine. I drank it. I love wine. Wine wine wine."

    I want to make so many more of these. But I don't want to cut them. I need an assistant.

    ReplyDelete