Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Lazy Girl’s Book Box

I’ve always wanted a secret compartment book, and since Tuesday is craft night, my friend Anna and I thought it would be Toads McGoats (on purpose) if we made them! If you look through the Internet for a tutorial, it will tell you things like ‘Use the Xacto knife to cut through 1,000,000,000 pages’ or ‘Why don’t you own a scroll saw to cut through books, dumbass?’ So since I’m ultra lazy sometimes, I had to devise my own method. (By devise my own method, I mean sort of use the method here.)

I started out with an Encyclopædia Britannica (surprise! I used an encyclopedia for this) and cut out the actual content.

DSCN0362 (Small)DSCN0344 (Small)

Then, I haphazardly devised a box shape out of a cardboard box that I had. This cardboard box was from a 20” box fan that I bought during the first Heat Wave of 2011. I was saving the box for this very project apparently.

DSCN0351 (Small)

Then, I covered this fan box (see what I did there?) with corrugated cardboard to give it a look like it was pages. It doesn’t look like pages at all, in fact, but actually a fan box covered with corrugated cardboard.

DSCN0353 (Small)

Then! I glued the fan box (does anyone else want that to say fan boy?) the inside of the book, which I had neatly dressed up in encyclopedia pages. I also glued the inside edge of the book to the fanbox assembly.

DSCN0355 (Small)

Ta-Dah! I glued a tiny bit of corrugated cardboard to cover the fanbox corners.

DSCN0356 (Small)

I use it to store my remotes. My remotes will never go missing again! (That’s not entirely true. Less than 10 minutes after I stored these, my living room was still a mess and I wanted to change the channel. I tried in vain to find my remotes but this box was ever-so-new to my decor that I had completely forgotten about it.)

DSCN0360 (Small)

Unrelatedly, Anna has me in her phone as ‘Nidhi Currypants’.

2 comments:

  1. MY PARENTS HAVE THAT SAME SAMSUNG REMOTE!!! Ami linked me here to your cool book. :) (-Kim)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it still a secret compartment book if everyone knows what you store in it? Mine is empty at the moment. Or is it??

    I had so much fun making these. Crafting with you was a blast, even if your pants do smell like curry. <3

    ReplyDelete