Monday, February 6, 2012

You’re, Your, and Us.

If I were into romantic relationships (I’m not), one of my dealbreakers would be men who cannot use ‘you’re’ and ‘your’ properly. I’m not a grammar expert (I’m an engineer and will sometimes write sentences in my e-mails that have no subject), but I’ve noticed that so many men that try to seduce me (at least 3) have switched up ‘your’ and ‘you’re’ (most commonly, said ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re’. To that, I say, “Dealbreaker!
In the interest of making at least some men tolerable to me (all of them that read my blog), I’ve devised a very Valentine’s method of helping you remember the difference! (Sidenote: It probably won’t help at all.)
This card is supposed to say, ‘You’re the apple of my eye.’ You’re is supposed to be used IFF you can separate it into ‘you are’. And the square root of negative one is i; I’m taking it here to mean i==eye (which is only true phonetically). These cards are made on business cards!
DSCN0434 (Small)
This next card is a nod to last night’s Superbowl halftime show. I have this ‘Borderline’ creepy obsession with Redfoo from LMFAO (see what I did there?), so when I found a photoshoot of LMFAO in December’s issue of Anti-Feminism Cosmopolitan magazine (that I accidentally subscribe to anyway), I ‘Jump’ed on it. (That’s another Madonna reference.) Your should be used when you are describing possession. If you can say ‘you are’ instead of ‘your’, YOU SHOULD NOT BE USING ‘YOUR’.
DSCN0435 (Small)
Clearly, I shouldn’t be an English teacher, because I’m crap at explaining grammar. #girllookatthatbody IDK, I guess if you want one, leave a comment on this post explaining why I should be your valentine and I will mail you one of them. THIS DOES NOT IMPLY THAT I WILL ACTUALLY BE YOUR VALENTINE. If there are more than 2 comments (unlikely), I will pick you based on something purely superficial, like a random number generator. Contest ends February 10.

6 comments:

  1. Nidhizzle you should totally be my Valentine! Mostly b/c you made a card involving an imaginary number which made me laugh a lot. Many other reasons as well. Like a plethora of them. I've had that LMFAO song stuck in my head.. that is not one of the reasons. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be my valentine since I am you're fake Indian boyfriend [see I used you're correctly!!!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I neeeeed to be your Valentine because you and I need to take way more 'shots' together plus some 'champagne showers', so we can 'rock the beat' and 'put that ass to work' running drunkenly back from the bar. Later you will 'scream my name' and say 'la la la', and I'll be so happy that I'm 'with you'.

    PS - Earlier comment removed due to grammatical error. #neurotic #notevenontwitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very crafty in your use of materials, language & subject matter. Although I have to agree with Ish, any romance card involving something as esoteric as i is truly inspired. Your talents seem to know no bounds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that Dave you once knewFebruary 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM

    WTF and who are these people leaving you comments?

    This is weird and your weird.

    But for some reason I read you're blog... hmm...

    ReplyDelete