Sunday, December 4, 2011

French Pouf

I saw this tutorial for making a poufy thing on …love Maegan before summer ever started. Procrastinating for approximately 7 months, I finally got around to trying making this pouf.

I had this gorgeous dress from my freshman year that I bought for an 80s prom party. Actually, looking back, I don’t think it was an 80s prom party. I think we just dressed that way. Hmm. Gorgeous, right? Dig those fishnets. This was 7 years ago. I feel old. I have lots of better pictures than this but I’m not sure my friends would appreciate having terrible pictures posted of them  in public. (It took me maybe 20 minutes to find this picture. After I realized that it was taken before Facebook pictures was invented, I had to pull out the old external hard drive and dig through 13 folders all named ‘My Pictures’.)

80s prom and random feb 05 027 (Small)

I cut out the innards of this dress, which is a sort of petticoat thing made from heavy tulle and some sort of nylon thing. Really expensive fancy materials.

DSCN0076 (Small)

I cut these into circular type shapes, mostly by folding over so I only had to cut 4 times. I made approximately 20 tulle circles and 10 nylon circles.

DSCN0078 (Small)

I ~folded each circle over twice and started sewing them into a circular type shape. I used a layer of 4 tulle, 4 nylon, 4 tulle, 4 nylon, 6 tulle.

DSCN0081 (Small)

DSCN0082 (Small)

DSCN0085 (Small)

Then, I sewed a canvas backing on and added a safety pin.

DSCN0084 (Small)

DSCN0088 (Small)

It looks almost romantic. I showed one of my friends and she told me it looked like a tacky prom dress. Hahaha. It kind of is.

DSCN0091 (Small)

No comments:

Post a Comment