Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY Bachelorette Sash

My friend’s bachelorette party is coming up (in New York City, no less)(the city that never sleeps)(is that Las Vegas? I keep forgetting)(anyway, I’ll need to sleep because otherwise I get pretty cranky), and I thought to make her a sash to wear around the city to let everyone know that she’s about to live her last few days as a single lady. (Put your hands up!)

I cut two long pieces of fabric (about 3.5’x4”) and then sewed them together on one of the shorter edges.

DSCN1682 (Small)

Then, I turned it right side out and traced “Bride To Be” from my computer using a pencil. The statement starts approximately 6” from the sewn edge.

DSCN1683 (Small)

See my very faint pencil markings? No? Look harder. You’re so lazy.

DSCN1684 (Small)

I painted over the pencil with hot pink paint. I didn’t have hot pink paint, so I frantically asked my designer friend how to make it out of the paint colors I did have. She didn’t answer (probably at work or something silly) and so I had to web-search it!! It is made of Red, White, and a dash of Blue. Who knew hot pink was so patriotic! I also used a flat brush for this so that the letter thicknesses would be mostly even.

DSCN1685 (Small)

Then, after the Patriotic Pink had dried (I renamed the color), I went over with with silver glitter glue to make it a little gaudier. (Did you ever notice that Gaudí’s architectural style could, by some people, be described as gaudy? I bring this up because Gaudí looks like gaudy, not because my sash is a forerunner in architectural expression. Words.)

DSCN1686 (Small)

There needs to be a glitter invented that actually photographs well.

DSCN1687 (Small)

Here is a picture of a random single girl I found to try this on. Put it across your shoulder and then pin it at the bottom (and trim any excess fabric in case you cut it too long).

  DSCN1690 (Small)

No comments:

Post a Comment