Sunday, May 22, 2011

Smitten Mitten

My friend Lauren was at a shop one day, and she messaged me a picture of a Michigan-themed oven mitt that she thought I would be able to make something similar using my mad sewing skills.

I took a long, hard look at my current oven mitt, and decided that I would be more than willing to re-do it. The beverages on the fabric were cute, but I was done with it.

IMG_0132 (Small)

I rummaged through my excessively large fabric stash, and found this XL t-shirt that I received at a Cavaliers playoff game in 2009 (they lost).

IMG_0166 (Small)

I pinned the t-shirt fabric roughly into the shape of an oven mitt and sewed it shut. I also relocated my sewing station into my living room so that I could simultaneously sew while watching Ugly Betty.

IMG_0169 (Small)

I stuffed my new blue t-shirt glove with the mitt. I think I heard some threads ripping  but I am going to pretend like nothing is wrong.

IMG_0171 (Small)

I cut out a block M and made some bias tape out of some maize fabric I had in my stash. My excessively large stash…

IMG_0172 (Small)

Ta-dah! My beautiful new mitt!

IMG_0173 (Small)

Sidenote: I messaged a picture of this to Lauren as soon as I finished it, asking for a bad pun I could use as my title. I told her that all I could think of was Mitt Romney, and she messaged me back with “Mitt Romney is hoot.” I thought she meant hot, but she actually meant good, as in a good pun! I was concerned. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment