Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I can’t ConSTAIN myself

I’m currently in the process of perfecting the decor in my apartment. The glaring lack of a location to put my spices near my stove led me to think of this idea.

Before:

215_1379

I bought a 50¢ piece of wood from the Home Depot…

215_1341

Added a splash of black paint, and nailed it to the wall! Ta-Dah! A place to put my spices that is NOT across the kitchen and around the corner.

After:

215_1382

Also, I’ve discovered something amazing. (By discovered, I mean I was watching HGTV and they told me it.) If you soak a bit of steel wool in plain old vinegar overnight, you get a fabulous wood stain. I stained this little box (which holds all my embroidery thread). This box gets used often because I embroider daily.

Before:

215_1387

After:

215_1390

I also stained the jewelry holder that I made a few months ago and came out with this. It looks SO much better and matches my bedroom furniture muchly.

215_1395

In progress…Yes, I did stain a random piece of wood. Thank you for noticing :)

215_1388

My poor palm…a casualty of staining. My hand is not made of wood, why is it stained?

215_1389

And my excited instant message conversation with Nick…

Nídhi: do you need any wood that needs stainign??? i just discovered homemade wood stain and i want to stain EVERYTHING D:
Nick: ...
Nídhi: it is SO COOL omg.
Nick: the only wood i have needs no stain
Nídhi: fml
Nick: you asked for that so hard

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. Nidhi I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the jewelry holder. how did you make it? I totally need one.

    Also the wood stain is AMAZING. And so un-toxic! You are so handy.

    ReplyDelete