Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's been a while for a lot of things...

But luckily, I'm BACK! Also, this blog post is NOTHING compared to my friend Kristina meeting STEVE YZERMAN tonight, but I'm sure she's going to write about it on her blog.

Ain't nobody like my Desi Girl!
Desi Girl is my favorite Bollywood song (which is saying a lot, since I don't usually like Bollywood music, haha). My friend Grishma just moved to ATL and so as a going away present, I made her this wall hanging.


Grishma hates the song Desi Girl. Her parents apparently played it on repeat during the drive to ATL (from MICHIGAN). Poor girl. OR NOT! It's my ringtone so obviously I love it.


Palak Paneer Tofu what?
I got Veteran's Day off yesterday, so clearly the thing to do was attempt to make Indian food. My friend (and fellow Michigander in this godforsaken state) cook together sometimes, so we took my masala dubba (:D) spinach and attempted to make palak paneer with a hint of tofu. Then we also decided to make corn flour roti.

So the palak paneer (spinach and ricotta cheese)...well the paneer is supposed to be cubed and fried, but we accidentally may have melted it...it made the entire dish cheesy. The cubed tofu made up for the accidental meltyness...

And the roti ended up being awkward shapes since our beer-bottle-as-a-rolling-pin idea was a bit..er...sticky. So we squished it with our fingers. My mother would be proud. Not.
It was incredibly tasty. This is the first time I've ever attempted to make roti...and palak paneer as well, unless you count that time I wilted spinach and added spices (I don't).

Complete with a side of soymilk.


Scharffen Berger (but not really)
In 2007, I worked in Pittsburg, CA, and in a nearby city known as Berkeley, there is a chocolate factory known as Scharffen Berger. They have ridiculous chocolate. 62% cacao with cacao nubs in the bar. SO GOOD. I don't have the kind of money to order it online (a 3 oz bar costs 5$!) (I may actually have that kind of money, now that I think about it but oops) so I decided to make something similar.

Except it ended up being very different.

I double boiled the semi-sweet chocolate chips (difference #1: Their chocolate has no milk) very ingeniously - I don't own a double boiler but I DO own pots that fit conveniently inside each other. I melted the chocolate as such...

I also don't own any cacao beans(nor do I know where to find them) so I substituted espresso beans (difference #2).
Well, basically I guess this makes this chocolate bar just chocolate covered espresso beans. I'll take it.

1 comment: