Sunday, November 22, 2009

Another Open Letter to Michigan Football

Dear Michigan Football,

This time around, it was going to be different. You promised that you wouldn't let me down after what you did to me last year. I, being a hopeless romantic, took you back.

The first few weeks in September, you were a changed football team. You beat Notre Dumb (and I got a 6 pack of Sam Adams out of it - kids, generally betting is bad) and I was elated. You continued to be undefeated and we had a fantastic September. It was glorious - we were ranked. I was love drunk, no alcohol required.

Then, you went away for a game. I understand, long distance is difficult. Only 18% of long distance couples stay together. I thought we were going to be part of that percentage. The first time you lost, I thought, "It's ok, it was a one-time thing. It won't happen again." And I took you back.

Then it happened again. I trusted you. Don't you get it? It's not like when we're apart, you can be unfaithful to me. You told me you were going to win. And I believed you. I took you back again, because when you're in love, it's hard to stay away. 7 games into the season, you had won 5 and I believed we were going to go all the way (to a bowl game). I tried to keep my trust in you, but it's hard to trust a team that loses their little brother twice in a row.

Yesterday was the last straw. The 2009 Michigan Football season, you and I are over. I felt like you were purposefully taking digs at me, throwing playful catches to OSU when you very well knew that I didn't like that. This relationship didn't have to end. It could have continued on for a few more months. But you had to end it. If you really loved me, you would have made an effort.

But you know what? I get it. When a cute girl walks by, you are going to fumble the ball.

Call me next September when you are ready for me. I'll be waiting for you. And I don't want to stop at third base.

Love,
Nidhi

1 comment:

  1. I'll always be here to "lohhve" you and keep you warm, even if football isn't. :) Also, thank you for including the quote about fumbling...too bad that dude wasn't talking about us.

    ReplyDelete