Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DIY Gift Idea: Catchall

Hey, I’m apparently bad at blogging and thinking of cool things to make by myself, so sometimes I go to the Anthropologie website because I am a hack. So I found this cool “reclaimed wood” catchall

image

and decided that I wanted to make one for myself, out of cardboard, largely because who has $68-78 dollars to spend on a pencil holder?

I modeled in in Solidworks, because that’s what cool people engineers do.

image

Oh, I almost got the correct angle. I’d open Solidworks again, but as every CAD engineer knows, that’ll crash my computer and I’ll have to restart it and then in the meantime, I guess I’ll make some more ginger lemon tea to aid my digestive system. I wish I hadn’t eaten my lunch enchiladas so quickly, because then I could still be eating them right now.

I cut out a bunch of cardboard. Oh gosh, I did not document this process thoroughly. I got the dimensions from the Solidworks model, and then I cut out a bunch of pieces of cardboard, twice as many of each piece so I could glue them together for reinforcement. (Sidenote on reinforcement: I always think of those hole reinforcing stickers for 3 punched paper. Probably a very pointless, lucrative invention when we still used 3 ring binders. Why haven’t I made my binder full of women yet? Next project.)

I attached the pieces together with glue and packaging material. Not packaging tape, like that crushed paper material that comes to fill up a giant box that holds like a tiny phone. Why do you need a 1x1’ box to hold a phone, Amazon???

image

Wow, I was really not good at the whole “what angle should I capture this image?” thing.

image

Hey, if anyone actually wants to make one of these, I’ll make a better tutorial with actual dimensions. Or, if you pay me, I will make one for you.

Cost: $1 if you don’t have glue on hand. Cardboard/Packaging material rescued from recycle bin.
Percent that it actually looks like the original inspiration: 5

Wow, has it really been a year since I’ve updated this blog?

1 comment:

  1. you mean you don't have wood sitting around waiting to be reclaimed??

    ReplyDelete