Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Bubble Necklace

I’ve been in lust with this j crew bubble necklace for a really long time, and I could probably have afforded it a few months ago. But now, being funemployed at all, I can’t even afford the off-brand bubble necklaces that have been popping up everywhere for $30.

 image

I decided to hap-hazardly attempt to make my own. I used Sculpey clay in white, tore it up to “condition” it or whatever, and made a bunch of nice round circles in two different sizes. I also had a couple of gold chains I had acquired a long time ago from a jewelry “grab bag” from a thrift store.

DSCN1441 (Small) DSCN1443 (Small)

In order to attach everything together, I used the chain as a sort of “hinge” between each piece, and pressed a little more polymer clay on top of each piece in order to secure the chain to the clay.

DSCN1444 (Small) DSCN1445 (Small)

Then, I baked the clay per the instructions on the package and/or may have left it in a little too long because it apparently started turning brown :(

DSCN1450 (Small)

I painted it turquose using a mixture of acrylic paint, glue, and water.

DSCN1451 (Small)

Here is what it looks like, finished, on encyclopeda pages. This is the best picture I could get of it, since I am apparently terrible at taking self picturess of my décolletage (see next picture).

DSCN1454 (Small) DSCN1463 (Small)

In retrospect, I would have used color clay instead of using white and then painting it. This is probably more of a summer necklace? How do you wear it in the winter because scarf season! SCARF SEASON!

6 comments:

  1. Although I wish you a bountiful employment, I think this period is definitely becoming a resourceful period of research, invention and development for many talents and skills that will help you out later. Take advantage of it. You are really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE I can't believe you made this! You could totally sell these. Shoot, I'd buy one. PUT THEM IN YOUR ETSY SHOP. Sculpey clay is such a random thing to have, do you just have Sculpey clay on standby or something. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually do have a lot of Sculpey lying around because I am a craft supply hoarder :(

      Delete