Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tea-bagging but not politically or dirtily

I’m a bridesmaid for my friend Stephanie’s wedding at the end of this month (it’s so close!) and so this past weekend, I (along with Steph’s sister Justine) threw a local bridal shower for Stephanie.

Stephanie loves the royal wedding so the theme of the party ended up being “A Very Royal Bridal Shower” and was held at Phoenix Coffee downtown. I designed these super awesome invitations myself. And by designed, I mean I stole the image from the internet and typed “Keep Calm and Bridal Shower” on them.

image

For the party favors, Justine and I decided to gift tea bags to our guests. I volunteered to make the gift bags because I am really good at it. I could should you examples but apparently I have not blogged about them ever and I know this because I just went through all my blog posts to see if I ever have. Sigh.

The gift bags I usually make are out of maps and in the traditional rectangular bottom paper bag style. Well, as you know, I hate tradition (because it’s often sexist/racist etc) so I decided to go with a non-traditional style bag. I had a flash of inspiration 2 days before the party (luckily I had procrastinated and had made 0 bags thus far, which I think what Frank Partnoy’s new book is about). I would make tea-bag shaped gift bags!

I painted two large British flags on two large pieces of paper. Very crudely, I might add. Not entirely sure what the ratio is of white to blue to red. You can tell what it is, though, so that’s a plus. The being able to tell what it is goes away later.

DSCN1181 (Small) DSCN1183 (Small)

Then I chopped up the flag into approximately 15”x6” pieces and folded the short ends into triangles. Then I put a line of glue on the edge of the paper and folded it together. Yeah, this is the part where you can’t tell what it is anymore. At least I know what it is. That’s something.

IMG876 (Small) IMG877 (Small)

Then, once the glue had dried (it was definitely dry as the party was 2 days later), we stuffed the bags with approximately 10 tea bags. To finish it off, the ends were folded over and a piece of string was stapled to the bag. The other end was stapled to a piece of paper that said, “Thank you!” (Not out loud though.)

DSCN1189 (Small)

The gift table was adorned with the tea bags and some adorable Keep Calm and Carry On notebooks.

DSCN1191 (Small)

Keep Calm and Bridal Shower!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! Thanks for sharing the pics on this. I am happy to see what you ended up using those large tea bags for.
    Also that it was neither political nor dirty. Phew!!

    Em.

    ReplyDelete