Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Something Older

Ok, so I apparently didn’t realize you can’t wear sleep masks during a wedding, so I had to make another something old for Lauren. This is all implying that she is following traditions and wants to wear something old.

And in this case, a garter thingy. I don’t really understand the garter tradition so if someone wants to google it and tell me, that would be fabulous.

I used the same lingerie robe that I don’t have a before picture of, so you can just picture some pink satiny things. Also, I didn’t have any elastic so I used the elastic bits from my old mattress pad. (I think I MacGyver the shit out of my crafts.)(Or maybe I MacGruber them.)

DSCN1159 (Small)

I sewed the elastic to the pink satiny robe  and then the thing looked like a pink satin scrunchie. Don’t scrunchies always make you think of that part in Sex and the City when Carrie tells Berger that New York women don’t wear scrunchies and then you’re afraid to ever criticize anything a man does ever again?

DSCN1164 (Small)

Once I had that sewn up, I sewed some lace that I have lying in my “To Sew” trunk to it. Yes, I have a “To Sew” trunk. It’s witty because it rhymes with “To Do” and yes, I made that up just now.

DSCN1170 (Small)

Then I made some pink satiny flowers using this technique and then sewed them to the garter snake. So, has anyone used a garter snake as their garter? I think that would be pretty cool and ironic and hipster.

DSCN1173 (Small)

Also there are some plastic crystal facet beads sewn as the flower stigma. Stigma? is that right? At least this garter is not pollenated. Freaking grass pollen right now. I’m soo stuffed up :(

DSCN1175 (Small)

I think that’s a really pretty picture that I could use if I wanted to sell stuff on Etsy. Satin is shiny. I like shiny.

2 comments:

  1. FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK about the garter tradition. I have this thing with weddings #ikindahatethem and did some lengthy research about the BS traditions people still do but don't know anything about. Read about them here: http://www.dinasdays.com/2012/03/history-behind-common-wedding.html I love that you took a picture of yourself with the eye mask on in your last post.

    ReplyDelete