Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Adventure in the D!

Today, K and I took a trip to Detroit. Our main intention was to first eat linner (lunch/dinner) in Mexicantown, and then go to Hockeytown Cafe and watch the Red Wings win.

Here are some snippets of our D-venture!

A vastly decorated stop sign--I've noticed that many people like to decorate stop signs. They are octagons, which are less coolly shaped than yield signs (triangles).


The smooshed trashcan tied to a rusty lamp column.


See, if I were trying to be museumesque, I would use the word "juxtaposition" to describe this picture. Whenever I go to a museum, "juxtapose" or a form of it is often used to describe the scene. So...the juxtaposition of the old, decrepit building with the newer, pretty building trying to be seen behind it can be used to represent the D. It's a new city trying to get out of a bad reputation. Also, I really wanted to find a Church's Chicken juxtaposed with a real church but that didn't happen.


The Detroit Public Library has one of the coolest interiors I've ever seen in a public library. There are stained glass windows and a bunch of murals. Go check it out. Seriously.


Yay, my camera focused on something really close to it! FINALLY. This is a fence on the back of what used to be the front of the DIA, and you can kind of see the reflection of the DPL but not really.


Another decorated stop sign, all for you Kwame!

The roaring tiger in front of Comerica Park. RAWR! :) It's kind of cute.
Here is Athena, in a memorial fountain for Russell Alger. (?) I guess he is military.

They had Red Wings Trivia at Hockeytown Cafe, where we watched the Wings get to 3-0 in the series against the CBJ (just another reason to hate Co-LAME-bus). K and my phone-ternet helped us get to the final round to win stuff. But then we didn't win :(

They were giving away playoff beards at Hockeytown Cafe, and I asked the guy for two, so he gave me three. Let me know if you want one. Claimed by Dovbear. They are itchy and the hair gets stuck to everything, especially the mouth.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really disappointed that the picture of me posing like the tiger didn't make the cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, posting comments on your blog is overly complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got my playoff beard!

    Love,
    Bear

    ReplyDelete