Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Date Night Pasta and Sauce

I had a friend over for dinner last night, so I cooked up a lovely meal of pasta and sauce.

I made the pasta from scratch. I kneaded the dough and added “Italian Seasoning” to it.

215_3436

215_3441

Then I rolled it out very thinly with a rolling pin and cut it with a pizza cutter into fettucini-esque slices. I also forgot to take pictures of this step. But doesn’t it look beautiful cooked?

215_3442

I made the pumpkin-spinach sauce and also forgot to take pictures of that.
    215_3476

The Pasta
1 egg, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp oil, pinch of salt, ~2 tbsp water to reach the right consistency. I also added “Italian Seasonings,” whatever those may be.
Mix all the ingredients until you have a nice, flexible dough. Then let the dough rest for about 45 min.
Roll the dough out very, very thin – as thin as you can possibly get it. SO thin. This can be done with a pasta maker.
Use the pizza cutter to slice your pasta. While I made mine into long strips, I encourage you to make weird and interesting shapes.
If you don’t want to eat the pasta straightaway, you can freeze it (before you cook it, of course)! 
Throw the pasta into heavily salted (like the sea!) boiling water and let it cook for approximately 4-5 minutes.

The Sauce
3 tbsp butter, 2 cloves garlic (minced), 1 small onion (minced), 1 15oz can pumpkin, 1/3 pkg frozen spinach, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tbsp sugar, salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the garlic and onion in the butter. When they have become translucent, add the pumpkin, spinach, turmeric, paprika and sugar and mix around until everything is saucy. When it’s good and sauced, add a lil salt and pepper until it tastes fantastic.

Gorgeous.

215_3478

2 comments:

  1. looks delicious. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmm
    I've been wanting to make my own pasta for a long time! But I don't have a rolling pin. However I got a pasta roller thingy as a shower gift. So that problem is solved! I'll let you know if I go the interesting shapes route.

    Tell me more about this pumpkin and spinach sauce. I am intrigued. Is it actually good? I associate pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg and so on.... but can you go wrong with garlic and onions? Hardly. So it must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete